This recipe is pretty simple as far as carrot cakes go (no raisins/pineapple/coconut here). I’m convinced that keeping it classic and easy usually results in something amazingly delicious. And in this case, the result is a heavenly carrot cupcake: moist, light and fluffy carrot cake with a tangy cream cheese frosting and a little bit of chopped pecans garnish on top. Be sure to add this to your recipe box on Yummly by clicking the Yum button up top!
Yield: 24 regular-sized cupcakes
Prep Time: About 15 minutes
Cook Time: 18-25 minutes
- 3 cups finely grated carrots (About 4 large carrots)
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Wash and peel carrots. Finely grate until you have 3 cups.
- Combine sugar and oil in stand mixer. Mix until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract to stand mixer. Mix until smooth.
- In separate bowl, add dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Turn stand mixer off and add dry ingredients in 2-3 parts until fully incorporated.
- Add grated carrots to mixture and combine.
- Pour batter into each cupcake liner until about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool while you make cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 container (8 oz) cream cheese + ½ container (4 oz) cream cheese , at room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter + ½ stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine cream cheese and butter in a stand mixer. Cream together until smooth.
- Turn off stand mixer and add 1 cup of powdered sugar. Mix on low until incorporated.
- Continue adding powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and mixing, tasting as you go along, until you reach desired sweetness.
- Add in 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Place frosting in a piping bag and decorate cupcakes once they are fully cooled.
- Optional: Add chopped pecans (or walnuts) as garnish.
If you loved this post, make sure to share it!